It has been decided to start a Harare Film Society, to cater for folks who like to watch art movies and classic movies, none of which are available on the commercial cinema circuit and scarce on television. This results from some popular movie festivals involving such films and an interest from a small but very keen group to get a society going. If you would like to join the society please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for an application form. Basic information which has gone out to the people who have already expressed an interest follows
1. The subscription payments will be adequate to enable the society to acquire a projector and screen. Anything left over can be used towards venue hire and other costs.
2. It is our plan to hold the screenings in Theatre Upstairs at Reps, which everyone likes. This will, of course, be subject to availability of the venue.
3. The plan is to screen one art movie a month and one classic movie a month.
4. There will be occasional festivals similar to the ones we have run last year and this.
5. Preference for these will be given to members of the HFS and calls for booking will go out to members well in advance. If filled, there will be no public announcement; however, if not filled we may send out a public announcement and fill up with non-members, who will, of course, pay a higher entry fee.
6. Members will pay a small ticket fee for screenings, to enable (a) royalties/rights payments; (b) Board of Censors approval payments and (c) venue hire payments.
7. Subscription renewals will be at the start of each calendar year
8. A constitution will be drafted and we shall need a small group of people to volunteer as a committee … please let us know if you are willing!