As people are asking for details of upcoming productions, here is an update on what is coming to Reps Theatre’s stages in coming weeks and months, for you to diarise:
Friday August 19 and Saturday August 20 – Troye The Hypnogician. Brought to Zimbabwe by Sound Event Management. Evening performances Fri and Sat (7pm) are for more mature audiences, while the Sat matinee (2.30) is for family audiences. Tickets are selling well and booking in advance is strongly recommended. South African-based Troy Keuvelaar is Africa’s only hypnogician, mixing illusion, hypnosis and comedy in a stunning show.
Sunday August 21 – 11am, audition for Much Ado About Nothing, to be staged at Reps in October (replacing A Thousand Clowns, which has been postponed to 2012). The audition will be at 11am in the Adrian Stanley Room and what is being sought are actors and actresses over 16 to be in this production. It is a set book at schools for 2011 and 2012 and will be useful for students to see, having read and studied the play.
Wednesday August 31 to Saturday September 17 – Mark Robbins directs a live band and eight superb singers in a tribute to the Motown recording label, this year celebrating its 50th anniversary: Motown Golden Jubilee features a selection of Motown’s finest songs and will be a spectacular show. Preview night is Weds Aug 31 (pensioners free, all others $6), opening night is Thurs Sep 1. Gala nights have been booked by Arcadia Community Centre (Fri Sep 2) and St George’s College (Sat Sep 3). Booking is open for this fun musical show.
Friday September 23 and Saturday September 24 – The O Zone, starring Zimbabwe’s foremost singer-comedian Rob Osborne, with a line-up of guest performers in a fun variety show that will get feet tapping. Rob will sing and make mirth, while his guests will sing, dance and make music. Booking for this is now open – two performances only (7pm each of these nights – no matinee!).
Wednesday October 5 to Saturday October 15 – William Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing, directed by John Dennison. A schools set book, with performances Weds Oct 5 (preview – pensioners free) and thereafter Thurs Oct 6 (opening night – 7pm), Fri Oct 7 (7pm), Sat Oct 7 (2.30pm matinee ONLY), Sun Oct 8 (2.30pm matinee ONLY), Tues Oct 10 to Sat Oct 15 (7pm each night PLUS matinee 2.30pm Sat Oct 15. Special block booking arrangements are being made with schools.
• Fraser Mackay is bringing in another international performer in late October, so watch out for details of who and when
• Jamie McLaren is planning to direct Memory Of Water, a drama, in Theatre Upstairs in October, dates to be advised if confirmed
• Young Performers and nursery schools end of year productions are scheduled for late October/early November
• National Ballet’s Stars of Tomorrow will run for two weeks in mid-November
• The Reps 2011 panto Robinson Crusoe will run from December 1 to 21
• Weakest Link evenings are planned for late September and late November – in Theatre Upstairs on a Sunday evening, dates to be confirmed in due course
• Backing these up are a number of offerings in the Reps Main Bar and Tada Terrace, among them musical nights, karaoke, fun pub quiz events and other activities.
Visit www.reps.co.zw for more information. If you are not on the Reps mailing list e-mail email@example.com to get onto it or call the Reps office on 335850 or 336706. If you are not a member, think about becoming one!