Dearly B. Loved
OnToplist is optimized by SEO
Add blog to our blog directory.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

It would seem that the dreaded Indian Mynah Birds have now arrived in Harare


It would seem that the dreaded Indian Mynah Birds have now arrived in Harare – bad news for all the other birds – they are a pain to have around

Any suggestions on how we can deal with this problem ? – they chase away all the other lovely birds in our gardens!

 

Regards

Mike G


Indian Mynahs are definitely now in Harare and I saw a couple a few months back in Fairburn Drive in Mount Pleasant.

From the attached picture you will see the beak and eye patch are diagnostic as are the large white wing patches when it flies.

It is about the size of a starling but  does not have a long tail so am not sure what will have been Frances’ garden but it could well have been the mynah.

Regards

 
I was very interested in the Ndeipe issue on the Myndah birds. I thought the birds I have in my garden were long-tailed shrikes and my neighbour thought that they were black widows..  These birds are bigger bullies than the schoolboys we were reading about quite a few months ago in a few of your past issues. They have chased away many different varieties of birds that I have always fed in my garden. The recognising point was the orange beak. Now I know!!

 

Best wishes

Frances Lawson

No comments:

Post a Comment