Fire extinguishers – service and fitment – Big Sky Supplies
A High Court ruling in mid-November has scrapped the requirement that all motorists carry a fire extinguisher and two reflective triangles. However, until the law enforcement authorities implement the ruling ‘on the ground’ we are advising motorists to comply with the requirements of SI154. By carrying the equipment, you can enjoy hassle-free motoring with the use of the fire extinguisher, triangles, etc., in the event of an emergency.
We’ll be attending the ZNCC meeting on Wednesday, 12 December and will provide any updates affecting motorists over the holiday period and beyond.
For regular updates on statutory issues and related products, like Big Sky’s Facebook page by clicking on this hyperlink: BIG SKY SUPPLIES ON FACEBOOK
Big Sky, with technicians from Fire Wall, will be servicing as well as fitting fire extinguishers in Pomona, Harare.
Servicing: Pressure checked and if in order, the tamper seal is replaced and the service sticker updated. Cost: $5-00
Refill: If the pressure gauge is in the red, the unit will be refilled with powder and re-gassed. The tamper seal is replaced and the service sticker updated. Cost: $10-00
Fitment: We’ll fit your extinguisher safely and professionally. Cost: $5-00
Where: Pomona Shopping Centre, opposite Big Sky
When: Saturday, 8th, 09:00 to 12:20 and Saturday, 15th December, 09:00 to 12;30.
ALL PROCEEDS AFTER COSTS DONATED TO RIFA CONSERVATION EDUCATION CAMP, CHIRUNDU.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS …
Motorists should be aware that the law DOES provide for police officers accepting the payment of a “on the spot” fine up to $20-00 MAXIMUM. The police cannot legally impose a fine higher than Level 3: a Level 1 fine is currently $5-00, Level 2 is $10-00 and Level 3 is $20-00. Only an appearance in a magistrate’s court can result in a higher fine. A receipt must be issued for the payment of any fine.
Mandatory. 0,75kg (light vehicles). 1,5kg (heavy vehicles). To be SAZ approved.
- SI154 does not specify the colour of the extinguisher
- 0,75kg units are not generally available, therefore a 1kg unit or above is suitable for a light vehicle
- The extinguisher must clearly display the SAZ logo
- As it is often asked for, it is advisable to display a service sticker proving the unit has been serviced within a 6-month period.
2 triangles mandatory.
- Not required to be SAZ approved.
- A pair is required for a trailer as well as for the vehicle towing.
Fluorescent safety jacket
Not mandatory for motorists (only for cyclists and motor cyclists at night)
- Recommended for own safety
- Is mandatory for Mozambique
(A commercial motor vehicle means a ‘lorry’, tractor or van (including pick-ups and double cabs) not exceeding 2,300kg net mass, AND DOES NOT include station wagons or SUV’s.
1. A commercial vehicle must display, on the outside left, a notice showing its Gross and Net Vehicle Mass (GVM, NVM). (Refer to your Vehicle Registration Book).
2. Any motor vehicle or combination, including a trailer, exceeding 8 metres in length must have continuous amber reflective strips fixed to each side of the vehicle/s.
3. Commercial motor vehicles (see definition above) must have a continuous red reflective tape extending to within 400mm of each side of the vehicle.
In all cases, reflective tape should be the honeycomb type and not less than 50mm wide.
ENQUIRIES WELCOME – EMAIL BIGSKY@ZOL.CO.ZW OR INBOX MESSAGE US AT FACEBOOK/BIGSKYSUPPLIES OR CLICK ON BIG SKY SUPPLIES ON FACEBOOK
Big Sky Supplies – We prepare you for your journey
9 Pomona Shopping Centre
Phone: (04) 870827/851002
17*45.650 S/ 031*05.151 E (WGS84)