Dearly B. Loved
OnToplist is optimized by SEO
Add blog to our blog directory.

Monday, June 3, 2013

Community Comments



So as to warn others, on Friday afternoon we had to put down our cat due to suspected rabies. This morning, following tests, rabies was confirmed. We live in Alex Park and how he contracted it we have no idea as in the preceding days there were no signs of any fighting, bites or scratches. He was not a cat that roamed and stayed around the house and garden. It set in very quickly. On Thursday night he was fine. By Friday 6am he was sick. A lot of saliva, back legs paralysed and by 7am he had started getting aggressive.
………….
Sickies: In Zimbabwe its could be called a duvet day! I don't remember when last I was off sick but if did take one the excuse would be "I am stuck in the middle of Darwendale and can't (read do not want to) get back to the launch ramp for a few hours!"
……………
Cycling Reader: I would like to thank Dave Payne  who came across an accident scene early this morning and very kindly gave his hot (thermos) coffee away to folk on the roadside in Gunhill. Luckily no one was injured and no other vehicles involved , but to stop and offer his concern and give the people at the scene his hot drinks, is what we all talk about as the old kindness and christian values shown at these times . Dave was coming into town with a milk delivery and stopped to help complete strangers , a really great display of what  we should all be doing for each other today in Zimbabwe.
………….
Perhaps you could get word out that three intruders came into my property yesterday while I was cat-napping outside – they were rummaging through my cupboards.  They left taking my jewellery box – its made of elephant skin and has a combination lock.. no gold or silver in there thankfully.  One is a coloured guy, stocky – with a patterned leather jacket and goat beard with scar on chin.  He has been here before looking through my belongings...they ride in a white station-wagon type car.  No details unfortunately. This took place yesterday afternoon at 4 pm.  police would not come because “no transport” yet even as I spoke to them these guys were on my property!!  (which is in Mabelreign – off the Lomagundi Road).  No money taken (none to take!).
……………..
Readers comment: Warning to all.  I have just been followed.   2pm on Lomagundi road.  I managed to go round and round the area, taking dangerous gaps between vehicles.   Not sure how many people in the car,  as I could only see 2 in front.   Black BMW, tinted windows and no number plates. 
………..
Many people say where they are on Facebook and thieves then monitor and check in to your house to steal when you are out!!! Also Facebook can show your exact location...easy for bad guys. There's a Facebook page called I'm not home that thieves and criminals monitor. It's amazing that we have people out there that actually publicize for the world to see that they are not home ...
……………
 A warning to everyone. Yesterday at 3 pm we had a room burgled in our house in Greendale. The thieves got away with a small amount of cash that was in a hand bag and a small amount of jewellery. They apparently climbed the security wall , walked into the house through a side door and snatched the items out of 1 bedroom. ( Wife was in the garden ). They then climbed over the wall and got away. The “ team “ consisted of 1 European male in a small blue saloon car – the getaway vehicle ( not sure make ) and 2 Africans who climbed the wall and snatched the goods. The scene was witnessed by the neighbours gardener who never saw them enter , but noticed the car parked at the security gate and then the 2 persons climbing back over the wall and leaving in the vehicle.  
Since mentioning this to various people , I now know of 3 other people who have received the same treatment !. Please be aware of this modus operandi
…………..
Wild Geese - For those attending this festival on Sunday, PLEASE beware of the HUGE speed hump that has been placed near the army barracks.
I have heard of a few vehicles that have been damaged as a result of this hump being sooooo BIG!!
…………….
As a public transport user, I have noticed that recently people greet each other in the morning "mangwanani" as they get into the lift. Just yesterday, the lady sitting next to me handed me change and said something which I didn't hear because I had my earphones in (which in retrospect I realise can be viewed as rude). I took them out and asked what she had said, she said in Shona "sorry I used my left hand to give you my the coin". I was very surprised and impressed, mainly because I use my left hand to hand people stuff and have never thought it to be impolite. So there's another one, not sure if it's just Shona tradition but I'm definitely adopting this manner and all the others mentioned by other readers that I had stopped.A reminder every once in a while is not bad, thank you.  #mum working on her manners so she teaches her son by example
,,,,,,,,,,,
I run Model Management and host excellent Grooming, Etiquette and Confidence Courses. I am passionate about these lessons and truly believe that we all need a recap about how we should treat elders, the fairer sex and of course your basic manners that a lot of people seem to disregard nowadays! It is never too late to change your tune and manners gain more respect from everyone! 
………..
My grandfather always said good manners and courtesy are based on Kindness – if you try always to be kind it will naturally follow that you will have good manners and courtesy when it matters
………….
Reading all these comments on manners,  I don't think Zim is doing all that bad if you looking in the big picture it may not be as good as it used to but not very many things are the same. Everyone could agree that it could be better but no-one is ever satisfied even if it was better. When you hear of the children over seas (now please note this is just hearing about not actually seeing), they alot worse off than here. There are alot of friendly people in Zim, and me being a whole of 22 do get greeted by people younger than me calling me ma'am or miss and they not that much younger than me either. I think you get what you put out in this world and if you looking at it angry you going to get it back. I have street kids that wave at me even if I dont have anything to give them. Anyway in short what I was trying to say is maybe try look at the positive attributes and stop always looking at the negative ones.
………..
I have to agree that while I have seen good examples of manners still being enforced at school it is actually often the behaviour of adults in Zimbabwe that makes me cringe. Many of them are selective over who they think deserve good manners. I hate it when someone comes into my house and does not greet my domestic staff, but rather continues as if they are not there – it is the absolute height of rudeness! The same goes for the dreadful patronising manner in which I so often hear people addressing tellers in government offices or shops. I think some of us need to be reminded that good manners are for everyone, not just those that we think ‘matter’. (I’d also add that I think there’s a difference between ‘manners’ and ‘chivalry’ – indeed some may find chivalry old fashioned as it applied only FROM men TO women – a more modern approach is simply to extend the same courtesies to everyone) Miss Manners
………..
I agree with Zim now in Australia. The Zim kids in Aus stand out a mile. They are courteous , well mannered , not always well behaved but alway look you in the eye when shaking hands and call you by your name.. My Aussie mates are in envy of the way Zimbabwean youngsters greet their elders. Zimaussie
……….
I drive in and out of PE almost on a daily basis (not a parent) and am always acknowledged by raised hats and greeting.   St Georges boys also greet well.  Otherwise I do not get the same response when going to other  schools.  Well done to the boys at PE and Saints.  As a parent I have taught my children to greet adults and especially adults they know whether they are in the supermarket, at a school or anywhere in public.
…………..



No comments:

Post a Comment