September turns into October and it’s still all go at Reps Theatre, where shows on stage and social events are happening or planned. Here’s a reminder of what’s happening, for you to make diary notes and bookings:
Reps Main Stage: the international smash hit musical Hairspray will run from Wednesday October 10 to Saturday October 27 (these are changed dates from the original run). The preview night (pensioners free) will be Tuesday October 9, and opening night is Wednesday October 10, with performances most nights at 7pm until the run ends (no shows Sundays and Mondays). Matinees will be 2.30pm on Sat Oct 13 and Sat Oct 20. The show is directed by Zane Lucas and Sue Bolt and features a wonderful cast led by Nicola Kinnaird as young Tracy Turnblad, a young girl in early 60s America who is hoping to make a difference through music and dance. A fun family show that will appeal to everyone and has a superb musical score. Advance booking is open at The Spotlight.
Theatre Upstairs: When Angels Weep returns to this venue, having been staged there during HIFA 2012. A moving drama about child abduction and sex slavery, it is produced by Blessing Hungwe and comes from the NKM Theatre Initiative. If you missed it at HIFA do not miss it this time. It runs October 3 to 6 only (7pm each day except Saturday when it is 2.30 p.m.)). Book now at The Spotlight.
Social events in the Reps Bar, Tada Terrace or the south garden:
· Fri Sep 28 – Dudu Manhenga sings live on Tada Terrace (8pm onwards), with supper available: all welcome and no entry fee. Don’t forget, teenagers welcome on the terrace.
· Sun Sep 30 – Mande Snyman sings country, pop and contemporary on Tada Terrace from 12 noon, with lunch available: all welcome and no entry fee. Don’t forget, the terrace is a family venue.
· Friday October 5 – plans for a live band to perform in the Reps bar … watch out for details.
· Monday October 8 – An Evening of Words, with poetry, prose and more from a number of Reps’ members. Supper available. Starts 6.30pm.
· Sunday October 14 – Fun Pub Quiz at 11.15am, with quizmaster Chris Charnley. Lunch available after the quiz. All welcome (individuals and teams, just come along) and no entry fee.
· Sunday October 21 – Family Day, from 12 noon. Braai will be set up and you either bring your own braai meat or buy packs on site. Retrospex band will perform and this will be a good family day in the open air. All welcome and Repteens are being asked to invite their parents and siblings to meet the Reps family.